Monday 7 October 2013

18 Again



It may have been the red wine.
It may have been the painkillers I took when I woke up with a headache before drifting off.
It may have been the 18th birthday party we had just been to.
But I had a dream.
One of those vivid movies than run through the brain in a fitful sleep.
I dreamt I was 18 again.
But instead of it being 1984, it was 2013 and my siblings were my own children.
There was a row, a snog and for some reason, a shower.
I woke in my husband's arms, bemused and amused.
It was quite a nice trip.
It gave me the urge to hunt out some old pictures.

Not the greatest quality picture but you can see from the hair and the clothes that it is very 1984.
I was 18 and on holiday with my friend Karen in Pineda, Spain.
I had just taken my A-levels: a B in History, D in Sociology and a D in English.
I re-took them the following year, ended up with BBD and a place (like Bridget Jones) at Bangor University to study English.
I remember that photo being taken.
It was just before Karen and I went out for the evening.
She met a Spanish guy who rode into the  bar on a motorbike and I ended up with a boy called Kevin from Northampton.
I wonder what 1984 Jane would make of 2013 Jane?

Today I wore:
Shoes - Clarks
Trousers- Gap
Shirt- Spanish shop

7 comments:

  1. What a great memory and a very typical 1980s outfit, you look like a couple of my classmates! I dreamt I was getting married last night - very bizarre - I was worried that I'd have to remove one of my rings to accommodate a wedding ring. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dreams take us to great places sometimes. Happy to see your 18 yo self.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to be 18 again and know what I know now! I am sure you enjoyed going back in time, if only for a short while and I am sure the old Jane would be very impressed at how stylish the 40 something Jane is! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you had a hairdo like Farah Fawcett. She was a style idol for me. You looked marvellous and you still do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love it when I have dreams like that, and it would be quite interesting to see what your younger self would have to say about your current life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha, dreams are funny things! Love the 1984 pic, brings back memories - I would have thought you were completely gorgeous and glamorous if I had known you then! xxxx

    ReplyDelete

First 24 Hours in India

  Ten years after qualifying as a yoga teacher I finally realised a dream - to travel to the birthplace of yoga. I have been planning this t...